Monday 30 March 2015

PRO:VOKE Hair Colour Remover


Be prepared for a long post, as there's quite a bit of explaining to do here!

Hair colour remover

Hello! Today we have a review of PRO:VOKE hair colour remover. When it comes to hair colour and things I would ultimately recommend going to a hair dresser, but I can't afford it and I don't really have the time having a young baby and all. I've always used box dyes for my hair, I know some of you will probably recoil in horror at that but I like to mess with my hair fairly regularly and I know you don't always get the colour you see on the box!

I've used a few different colour removers in the past and this is the one I like the best. The reasons for this is the price (it's the cheapest I've come across) and the fact you only leave this on for half an hour (others I've used you have to leave a full hour). There are a few things you need to know about colour removers:

  • Always patch test!
  • Leave plenty of time - you can't hurry the process and you have to do a lot of rinsing
  • The smell is horrendous (like rotting eggs!)
  • They can only do so much - most hair colours (even dark ones) contain peroxide which permanently changes your hair colour (you usually get a warmer and lighter result than your own colour)
  • Bleached hair will never go back to it's natural colour as bleach strips the colour pigment out of your hair. 
  • Some colours (e.g. Fashion brights) will stain the cuticle of the hair and permanently alter it's colour.   
  • The result is so variable - lots of things can determine the result you get (e.g. previous damage, porosity of the hair etc)
These points are all explained in the box so make sure you read the leaflet before you proceed. Below I've inserted a before/after photo, I do apologise for the poor quality as I only have my phone camera and I had to use the flash for the after photo as it was a particularly dull day. To explain with words, before my hair was reddy brown (I previously had red hair and then coloured over with brown but the red still showed through and I want rid!) and after using PRO:VOKE hair colour remover it turns my hair a light, ginger colour (probably because of the red, when I've used it on over brown it goes more light brown). Before you gasp like worst nightmare ginger hair, it's removed some of the red, which is what I want and then I will colour over this with an ash brown that will hopefully cancel the gingeriness (making up words again but I'm sure you get the gist).     


Colour removing is a harsh process for your hair (even though it claims to have no ammonia or bleach). I'm not particularly precious about my hair, it's hair, it grows back! My advice if you are going to use this type of product would be tread carefully, leave plenty of time, be prepared to stay in (in case it goes horrendously wrong!) and have a colour ready to go over the top (the leaflet inside says you should use semi-permanent only immediately after, I don't always do this, and that's at my own risk).

Congratulations! You've made it this far! 

PRO:VOKE hair colour remover is available in places such as Bodycare (where I got mine), B&M Bargains, and Home Bargains for around the £3.99 mark or at Amazon HERE

Thanks for reading!

Wench x  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!